Our cottages provide an ideal base to explore the Northern Lakes and also the unspoilt Eden Valley. We are close to many local attractions, historic country houses, lakes, mountains and fells all within a 15 minute drive away. Ullswater Lake is the closest and beautiful all year round and only a short drive over the spectacular Kirkstone Pass and you are into the heart of the lakes with Windermere and Ambleside easy to reach.
If you like historic properties and gardens then the Penrith area is full of many fascinating places to visit. Hutton in the Forest is only 3 miles away, Dalemain House is 10 mins and the newly opened Lowther Castle 20mins drive. All have fantastic gardens and if gardening is your thing then a trip to the famous Larch Cottage Nursery and gardens at Melkinthorpe should definitely be on your list to visit.
For families the Rheged discovery centre is 10 mins away, there is also the Alpaca centre nearby and a trip to the Jersey Ice cream farm is well worth it.
There is so much to do and see in and around this area that I'm sure you will find plenty to do.
In the village
- the local pub, the Dog and Gun in Skelton - a short walk to the village pub serving delicious home cooked food means eating out is an easy option or a special treat as part of your holiday. The pub is open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights from 5pm and serves food Sunday (but with an early finish for food orders at 7.00pm on Sunday)
- Post Office: this is a mobile unit only - ask for details.
- school playground: available for anyone to use during holidays, weekends and out of school hours
- village playground: situated on the village boundary
- church: Is next door to our property, there is a service here 11am every Sunday except the 5th Sunday in the month. Also every Thursday morning at 8am there is a short morning prayer session
- chapel: there is a Methodist chapel in the village just down from the Toppin Memorial Village Hall. A service is help here every Sunday at 10.30am
- bowling green: an outside bowling green, ask Joanne to look into this
- Greystoke 4 miles away has a village shop and post office
- Penrith (7 miles): good selection of supermarkets including Morrisons, Aldi, Iceland and Sainsbury's. Other shops includes Marks and Spencer foodhall and cafe, Booths independent supermarket and cafe, Cranstons local family-owned foodhall and cafe. J and J Graham independent artisan foodshop
Nearby places to eat out
- Dog and Gun, Skelton (see above)
- Boot and Shoe, Greystoke (4 miles)
- The Clickham Inn, Blencowe (4 miles)
- The Sun Inn, Newton Reigny (4 miles)
- Brantwood Hotel, Stainton (7 miles)
- The Kings Arms, Stainton (7 miles)
- The Sportsman, Troutbeck (8 miles)
- The Troutbeck Inn, Troutbeck (9 miles)
- White Horse Inn, Scales, Threlkeld, Keswick (13 miles)
- daytime only eating places
- Upfront Gallery and Tea room, Unthank (about 2 miles). Near Skelton - Puppet show in main school holidays
- Hutton in the Forest historic house (3 miles)
- the nearby village of Greystoke has an outdoor swimming pool (summer only) (4 miles)
- Penrith Leisure Centre: open daily with large swimming pool, climbing wall (7 miles)
- Penrith Castle Park (7 miles): the grounds of the park are a feature itself along with crazy golf, putting and play area, tennis courts and castle ruins
- Alhambra Cinema, Penrith (7 miles) is open each evening and weekends - Joanne has a list of what is on each week from local paper - please ask for details
- places to eat in Penrith (7 miles): take aways: there is a choice of Italian, Indian, Chinese and traditional fish and chip shops.
Restaurant/Bars: There is a good choice of Italian, Indian and Chinese as well as Mexican. The Lounge, Foundry 35, Wetherspoons "Dog Beck", Grant's Bistro, and Agricultural Hotel offer a more mixed traditional menu
- Penrith Hospital (7 miles): a medical centre and local hospital. Tel 01768 245300 for out patients and small emergencies
- Pharmacy (7 miles): at medical centre by Penrith hospital, Morrisons, Sainsbury's and, in central town, Boots etc.
- Rheged Centre (8 miles): shops, cinema, crafts/soft play
- Alpaca Centre (8 miles): shop and alpacas
- Lazonby outdoor swimming pool (summer only) (9 miles)
- Dalemain House (9 miles)
- Ullswater Steamers at Pooley Bridge (11 miles). The hustle and bustle of Pooley Bridge in summer is still a delight with the steamer leaving the lakeshore to take in the sights of Ullswater on the way. Stop off and walk back or carry on to Glenridding and hire a boat out for the day or simply take in the scenery with an ice cream or hot chocolate depending what the weather decides to do!
- Abbott Lodge Jersey Ice Cream Farm (12 miles): see baby calves and indoor and out door play area
- Aira Force, near Ullswater (13 miles)
- Lowther Castle (13 miles): New huge wooden fort with even a zip wire for toddlers/babies. Huge gardens and grounds
- Askham Hall Gardens and Tea room, Askham, Penrith (13 miles)
- Askham outdoor swimming pool (summer only) (13 miles)
- Larch Cottage Nursery (13 miles)
- Long Meg Stone Circle, Little Salkeld, Penrith (15 miles)
- Dobbies Garden centre, Nr Carlisle (15 miles)
- Acorn Bank, Culgaith, Penrith (15 miles)
- Mirehouse grounds, playarea and tearoom (21 miles)
- Houghton Hall Garden Centre, Nr Carlisle (25 miles)
- Walby Farm Park (27 miles), Carlisle -All age - Indoor and outdoor play areas with huge slides etc. Animals to see.
- Lanercost Priory and tea room, Lanercost, Brampton, Carlisle (27 miles)
- Hadrians wall near Carlisle. Birdoswald visitor centre for all ages (about 30 miles).
Keswick is only about 30 mins drive away (17 miles). The town has a wide range of pubs, cafes and restaurants. Activities in Keswick include: